The Nederland Fire Protection District is pleased to announce our search for a full time Shift Fire Captain/Paramedic. This position requires expert level competence and self-sufficiency at nearly all technical aspects of Emergency Services: Structure Fire, Wildland Fire, EMS, Hazmat and multiple rescue disciplines. Concurrently, the Shift Fire Captain/Paramedic must be able to instruct, mentor, and supervise a mix of volunteer lieutenants, firefighters, paramedics, and recruits with a wide variety of skill sets, motivations, and aptitudes. This position requires operating in a rugged mountain environment and variable weather conditions.
Shift Fire Captain/Paramedics currently operate utilizing a three-platoon system on a 48/96-hour schedule. This position provides front line support and guidance for approximately 25 volunteer emergency response professionals. The Shift Fire Captain/Paramedic is often the sole ALS first response provider in a mixed transport system, with private ALS ambulance transport provided by AMR Boulder.
During normal business hours, the station is staffed with the Chief Staff, Shift Captain and Administrative staff. On weekends and evenings, the Captain is typically the only career staff member present, accompanied by a varying level of shifted and community based responders.
The Town of Nederland occupies approximately 1.5 square miles on the eastern aspect of the front range, 18 miles west of Boulder, CO sitting at 8,240 feet above sea level. The Town has a rich and rugged mining history, coupled with a laidback mountain attitude. Its current population is 1,500, with an additional 3,000 living in the fire district boundaries. We are the gateway to the Eldora Ski Resort, seeing over 250,000 annual visitors, as well as to the Indian Peaks Wilderness area, which sees a vast number of outdoor enthusiasts. Numerous special events are associated with the Town, including Frozen Dead Guy Days, music festivals, and various athletic events. Special event standby and response are regular responsibilities for NFPD.
The Nederland Fire Protection District averages approximately 430 calls per year and serves a 50 square mile area, including the Town of Nederland, The Eldora Ski Area, and a vast expanse of public lands.
In addition, there are numerous special events, support of wildfire mitigation activities, public education, and non-emergent requests for our expertise.
The Ideal Candidate
The district is seeking a candidate who must not only be technically proficient in fire, rescue, and EMS skills, but also value small town dynamics. The candidate must possess a commitment to responder recruitment and retention along with the multitude of added value leadership services required by a growing fire department.
Competencies and Personal Characteristics
- Excellent communicator.
- A non-autocratic, participative leader, with strong interpersonal skills.
- A reputation for honesty and trustworthiness, approachability, and dependability.
- An expertly skilled and experienced ALS provider with a proven ability to effectively operate in complex situations with limited resources.
- An effective medical educator with a proven background of successfully mentoring BLS and ALS providers.
- An experienced fire service educator who displays the ability to consistently deliver progressive training across the spectrum of fire service disciplines.
- Displays the ability to function independently, while also being able to function in a team-based, collaborative environment incorporating experience and professional judgment to best serve the community.
Many of the activities of the Shift Fire Captain/Paramedic position will be in the delivery of added value services: assisting with operations program management, program direction, responder training, community outreach, routine equipment maintenance, Inspections, preplans, ISO activities, community CPR classes, EHR and NFIRS reporting along with other valuable activities that support the department and community.
- Associates degree (Bachelor’s degree preferred)
- 21 years of age or greater
- Maintain a current, unrestricted Colorado Driver’s license and good driving record.
- Is a US Citizen or shows proof of authorization to work in the United States
- Passes a criminal background check with no felony convictions or significant misdemeanor offenses as determined by employer
- Passes a physical examination including drug screen, fitness for duty exam, psychological screening test, and ability to successfully pass wildland firefighter work capacity test at the arduous level
- Five years of career fire experience in a Firefighter/Paramedic role
- Three years of experience as a company officer is preferred.
- Must currently hold and maintain the following certifications, or the highest level of certification required to maintain the certification series:
- Colorado State Structural Firefighter II
- Colorado State Hazmat Operations & Awareness
- Colorado State-Paramedic
- Wildland Firefighter Type II ( S-130/190 w/ current red card)
- NIMS 100, 200, 700, 800
Qualifications required within one year
- Colorado State Fire Instructor I
- Colorado State Fire Officer I
- NWCG S/G-131 or s-215
Additional desired qualifications
- Wildland Firefighter Type I (Squad Boss)
- Colorado State Proctor
- Colorado State Live Fire Training Evolutions Instructor I
- Blue Card Certification
- Colorado State Fire Officer II
- Incident Safety Officer Certification
- NFPA Fire Inspector 1
Additional desired experience
- AIARE- Avalanche 1
- Backcountry Rescue and/or Technical Rescue experience
- Experience providing ALS care in challenging environments.
The pay range is $89,500 - $110,500 with routine overtime, depending on applicable qualifications and years of career fire service experience. The compensation package includes comprehensive full coverage health benefits, FPPA pension, generous vacation, and sick allowances.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted electronically through Oct 1st, 2021.
Please email your packet to firstname.lastname@example.org, the packet must include a cover letter, application, official copy of driver’s license history, resume, signed release of information, and four professional references. Please include any pertinent certification and training documentation.
The Nederland Fire Protection District is an equal opportunity employer.
ApplicationNFPD Career Application 2021 FILLABLE.pdf